Given the importance of the Westmead Health Precinct in supporting sustained growth of Western Sydney and particularly Parramatta’s transformation into Sydney’s second CBD, Western Sydney Local Health District undertook several projects to expand services and resources to cater for the community needs.
Health Infrastructure engaged GTA in 2015 to provide comprehensive transport advice across several aspects of the Westmead Hospital re-development
with the aim of preparing a campus-wide transport management plan to support future expansion across the precinct.
Transport initiatives such as the Parramatta Light Rail and consideration for significant surrounding developments including the Parramatta North Urban Transformation were key considerations throughout.
GTA’s involvement with the project included:
- review of previous transport strategies for the area
- high-level advice relating to the broader re-development and detailed design advice for the Early Works package
- localised intersection modelling
- extensive stakeholder consultation
- provision of key transport recommendations to achieve a transit-oriented outcome for the precinct and surrounds
Our design involvement evolved to encompass a greater responsibility of the internal road design and intersection layouts, including consideration of the Parramatta Light Rail. This work aided project initiatives while also highlighting our expertise across transport design.
Further consideration of the surrounding transport network is key to the ongoing growth of the Westmead Health Precinct and GTA made innovative recommendations to deliver an integrated transport outcome.