Given the importance of the Westmead health precinct in supporting future growth of Western Sydney and particularly Parramatta’s transformation into Sydney’s second CBD, Western Sydney local health district plans to expand to ensure future services and resources continue to cater for community needs.
Health Infrastructure engaged GTA to provide comprehensive transport advice across many aspects of the Westmead Hospital re-development project, with the
ultimate aim of preparing a campus-wide transport management plan to support future expansion of the broader precinct.
Transport initiatives such as the Parramatta Light Rail and consideration for significant surrounding developments including the Parramatta North Urban Transformation have been key considerations throughout.
GTA’s involvement with the project has included:
- review of previous transport strategies for the area
- high-level transport advice relating to the broader re-development and detailed design advice for the Early Works package
- localised intersection modelling
- extensive stakeholder consultation
- provision of key transport recommendations which aim to achieve a transit-oriented outcome for the whole precinct and surrounds
Our design involvement has evolved to encompass a greater involvement with internal road design and intersection layouts, including consideration of the potential Parramatta Light Rail. This work has aided project initiatives while also highlighting our expertise across transport design.
Further consideration of the surrounding transport network is key to the successful growth of the Westmead health precinct and GTA has made innovative recommendations to guarantee an integrated transport outcome.